UPSC Engineering Service ESE / IES Syllabus 2019 – Union Public Service Commission UPSC Engineering Service Prelims ESE/IES Exam Syllabus 2020 Download for pdf available here. Engineering Service Exam ESE/IES Prelims/Stage 1 2020 & Main/Stage 2 Exam Syllabus or Exam Pattern Mentioned Below the page. UPSC Engineering Service Prelims Exam Date & Centre mentioned below the page. UPSC Engineering Service Prelims Syllabus for pdf available below the page. UPSC Engineering Service Prelims / Stage I & Main / Stage II Exam Syllabus, UPSC Engineering Service Prelims Exam Pattern, Model papers, UPSC Engineering Service Prelims Old Questions papers, UPSC Engineering Service ESE/IES Prelims Previous questions papers, UPSC Engineering Service Prelims Preparation Tips, Syllabus for Hindi pdf, UPSC Engineering Service ESE/IES Prelims Sample Papers, Answer Key, Selection List & Interview Details Mentioned Below.
Official Notification – Check Here
UPSC Engineering Service Exam 2020 ESE/IES Admit Card / Hall Ticket
Before going to the UPSC Exam, the contestants must aware about the exam pattern. Because all the details regarding the UPSC exam will be available in the Union PSC IES Exam pattern. So to decrease your time in searching for UPSC Syllabus and Exam Pattern, we are giving the complete UPSC Indian Engineering Services Exam Syllabus and exam pattern on the single page.
UPSC ESE Recruitment Details 2019
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has announced Recruitment 2019 notification for fill 495 Engineering Services Exam-2019 vacancies. All the interested/eligible candidates may apply through online mode of application on or before 2019.
The standard of paper in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Preliminary Stage-I Examination) will be such as may be expected of an Engineering/Science Graduate. The standard of papers in other subjects will approximately be that of an Engineering Degree Examination of an Indian University. There will be no practical examination in any of the subjects.
UPSC Engineering Service Prelims Syllabus & Exam pattern 2019 ESE/IES Summary
Board of Organization – Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
Name of Exam – Engineering Service Examination
No of Vacancy – 495
Category – Syllabus & Exam pattern
Date of Exam – 05 January 2020
Official Website – https://www.upsc.gov.in/
Candidates will be required to give their options at the time of Interview/Personality Test while acknowledging the e‐summon letter mailed to them for an interview. A candidate may opt out of the scheme also and in that case, his/her details will not be published by the Commission.
- Prelims Exam (stage 1)
- Main Exam (stage 2)
Syllabus for UPSC Engineering Service Prelims 2019 ESE / IES
- General Studies
- Engineering Aptitude
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering
CATEGORY I—CIVIL ENGINEERING
- Indian Railway Service of Engineers.
- Indian Railway Stores Service (Civil Engineering Posts).
- Central Engineering Service.
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service AWM/JTS (Civil Engineering Post)
- Central Engineering Service (Roads), Group-A (Civil Engineering Posts).
- Central Water Engineering Service Gr ‘A’ (Civil Engineering Posts)
- Survey of India Group ‘A’ Service.
- AEE(Civil Engg Posts) in Border Roads Engineering Service Gr ‘A’.
- AEE(Civil) of P&T Building Works Gr ‘A’ Service.
- Indian Defence Service of Engineers.
- AEE(QS&C) in Military Engineer Service(MES) Surveyor Cadre
CATEGORY II—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
- Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers.
- Indian Railway Stores Service (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service AWM/JTS (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- Central Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Service (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- AEE in Geological Survey of India Gr ‘A’ Engineering Service.
- Central Water Engineering Service Gr ‘A’ (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- AEE (Mech Engineering Posts) in Border Roads Engineering Service Gr ‘A’.
- Indian Naval Armament Service (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- Indian Defence Service of Engineers (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade-I (Mechanical Engineering Posts) in Indian Navy.
CATEGORY III—ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
- Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers.
- Indian Railway Stores Service (Electrical Engineering Posts).
- Central Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Service (Electrical Engineering Posts).
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service AWM/JTS (Electrical Engineering Posts).
- Indian Naval Armament Service (Electrical Engineering Posts).
- Indian Defence Service of Engineers.
- Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade-I(Electrical Engg. Posts) in Indian Navy.
- AEE Gr ‘A’ (Electrical Engg. Posts) in Corps of EME, Min of Defence.
- Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘B’ (Electrical Engineering Posts).
CATEGORY IV—ELECTRONICS AND TELECOMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
- Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers.
- Indian Railway Stores Service (Telecommunication/Electronics Engineering Posts).
- Indian Inspection Service (Asst. Dir. Grade-I).
- Indian Radio Regulatory Service Gr ‘A’
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service AWM/JTS (Electronics and Telecom Engineering Posts).
- Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics and Telecom Engineering Posts).
- Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade-I(Electronics and Telecom Engg. Posts) in Indian Navy.
UPSC Engineering Service Prelims 2019 ESE / IES Syllabus for General Ability
UPSC IES Syllabus for General Studies
- Geography – India.
- Indian Constitution.
- Economic Scene.
- History – India.
- Culture & Heritage.
- General Policy.
- Scientific Research.
- Current Events – International & National etc.
- Fill in the Blanks.
- Sentence Improvement.
- Restructuring Passage.
- Spotting Errors.
- Selecting Words etc.
Civil Engineering Syllabus for UPSC (Paper 1)
Stone, Lime, Glass, Plastics, Steel, FRP, Ceramics, Aluminium, Fly Ash, Basic Admixtures, Timber, Bricks and Aggregates: Classification, properties and selection criteria; Cement: Types, Composition, Properties, Uses, Specifications and various Tests; Lime & Cement Mortars and Concrete: Properties and various Tests; Design of Concrete Mixes: Proportioning of aggregates and methods of mix design.
Elastic constants, Stress, plane stress, Strains, plane strain, Mohr’s circle of stress and strain, Elastic theories of failure, Principal Stresses, Bending, Shear and Torsion.
Basics of strength of materials, Types of stresses and strains, Bending moments and shear force, concept of bending and shear stresses; Analysis of determinate and indeterminate structures; Trusses, beams, plane frames; Rolling loads, Influence Lines, Unit load method & other methods; Free and Forced vibrations of single degree and multi-degree freedom system; Suspended Cables; Concepts and use of Computer Aided Design.
Civil Engineering Paper 2
Waste Water Engineering
Planning & design of domestic wastewater, sewage collection, and disposal; Plumbing Systems. Components and layout of sewerage system; Planning & design of Domestic Waste-water disposal system; Sludge management including treatment, disposal, and re-use of treated effluents; Industrial waste waters and Effluent Treatment Plants including institutional and industrial sewage management.
Solid Waste Management:
Sources & classification of solid wastes along with planning & design of its management system; Disposal system, Beneficial aspects of wastes and Utilization by Civil Engineers.
Air, Noise pollution, and Ecology – Concepts & general methodology
Mechanical Engineering Paper 1
Basic Concepts and Properties of Fluids, Manometry, Fluid Statics, Buoyancy, Equations of Motion, Bernoulli’s equation and applications, the Viscous flow of incompressible fluids, Laminar and Turbulent flows, Flow through pipes and head losses in pipes.
Thermodynamics and Heat transfer:
Thermodynamic systems and processes; properties of the pure substance; Zeroth, First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics; Entropy, Irreversibility, and availability; analysis of thermodynamic cycles related to energy conversion: Rankine, Otto, Diesel and Dual Cycles; ideal and real gases; compressibility factor; Gas mixtures.
UPSC Engineering Service Exam Preparation Tips – Click Here
Reciprocating and Rotary pumps, Pelton wheel, Kaplan and Francis Turbines, velocity diagrams, Impulse and Reaction principles, Steam and Gas Turbines, Theory of Jet Propulsion – Pulse jet and Ram Jet Engines, Reciprocating and Rotary Compressors – Theory and Applications
Power Plant Engineering:
Rankine and Brayton cycles with regeneration and reheat, Fuels and their properties, Flue gas analysis, Boilers, steam turbines and other power plant components like condensers, air ejectors, electrostatic precipitators and cooling towers – their theory and design, types and applications;
Mechanical Engineering Paper II
Analysis of System of Forces, Friction, Centroid and Centre of Gravity, Dynamics; Stresses and Strains-Compound Stresses and Strains, Bending Moment and Shear Force Diagrams, Theory of Bending Stresses- Slope and deflection-Torsion, Thin and thick Cylinders, Spheres.
Basic Crystallography, Alloys, and Phase diagrams, Heat Treatment, Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metals, Nonmetallic materials, Basics of Nano-materials, Mechanical Properties and Testing, Corrosion prevention and control
Exam Pattern for UPSC Engineering Service Prelims 2019 ESE / IES Written Exam
Preliminary Exam (Stage 1)
|Exam Types||Papers||Subjects||No of Marks||Durations|
|Paper 2||Concerned Subjects||300||3 Hours|
- The UPSC prelims consist of objective type exam.
- In this UPSC IES prelims, there will be two papers i.e. I & II.
- For IES Paper I, the number of marks is 200 and the exam duration is 2 hours.
- For IES Paper II, the number of marks is 300 and the duration is 3 hours.
- So the total number of marks in UPSC IES prelims is 500 marks.
- And the total duration of UPSC IES prelims is 5 Hours.
Main Exam (Stage 2)
The Engineering Services (Main/stage-II) Examination will consist two conventional type papers in Engineering Discipline specific with duration of three hours and maximum marks of 600 (300 Marks in each paper). The Stage-III will consist of Personality Test carrying 200 Marks.
|Exam Types||Papers||Subjects||No of Marks||Durations|
|Conventional Types||Paper 1||Concerned Engineering||300||3 hours|
|Paper 2||Engineering Subject||300||3 hours|
- UPSC IES Mains consists of conventional type exam.
- And the UPSC mains exam also has two papers.
- For both Paper I & Paper II, the number of marks is same i.e. 300 marks.
- So the total number of marks for UPSC IES mains exam is 600 marks.
- For both papers, the duration is 3 hours.
- Therefore the total duration of UPSC IES mains is 6 Hours.
UPSC IES & ESE Syllabus for PDF Available Below the page
Syllabus of UPSC ESE Civil Engineering – Check Here
UPSC ESE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus – Check Here
Union PSC IES Electrical Engineering Syllabus – Check Here
UPSC ESE Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering Syllabus – Check Here
Union PSC IES Syllabus Pdf for all Streams – Check Here
IDENTITY VERIFICATION for UPSC Engineering Service ESE / IES Preliminary Exam 2019
The original certificates/documents of successful candidates will be verified for which dates will be notified after declaration of result. On the basis of written test, the provisionally qualified candidates will be required to produce original certificates of Essential and Desirable Qualifications along with one set of photocopy, duly attested,
The candidate’s identity will be verified with respect to his/her details on the call letter and in the Attendance List. If identity of the candidate is in doubt the candidate will not be allowed to appear for the Online Examination.
- Certificates and Mark sheets of qualifying examinations.
- Aadhar card.
- Proof of Educational Qualifications.
- Date of Birth Certificate / S.S.C
- School Study Certificate
- Declaration by the Unemployed (For claiming examination fee exemption)
- No Objection Certificate from Employer (if anywhere employed).